CNN News has reported that Christus Spohn Hospital in Corpus Christi, Texas has confirmed the death of a seven day old baby in their neonatal intensive care unit yesterday morning .
The infant was one of seventeen infants that may have received overdoses of the controversial drug Heparin . A drug widely used to flush intravenous lines at hospitals. Other news reports indicate that the infants who were given the drug may have received a dosage 100 times higher than normal.
In a press conference yesterday, hospital officials confirmed that a mistake did take place in the pharmacy resulting in a higher dosage being mixed before the drug was administered.
Up to seventeen infants in the neonatal unit may have been affected by the overdoses. One baby is still critical according to Dr. Richard Davis, chief medical officer, for Christus Spohn Health System.
Infant overdoses from Heparin received national media attention when actor Dennis Quaid’s children were given Heparin overdoses in November of last year.
While the hospital has apologized for the mix up yesterday, the fear of liability is running rampant across the hospital. In an effort to spin the story, hospital officials were quick to point out that all these babies in the neonatal unit were seriously ill, possibly implying that the deceased infant’s health, may have played a role in the death.
Preemies are the most fragile of newborns. Delicate pieces of irreplaceable crystal that need the utmost careful attention who face uphill medical issues due to being born premature. These tiny angels and their parents trust those who are responsible for their medical care. To knowingly overdose an infant is unforgivable. There can be no errors, either by the hospital or the drug manufacturer when it comes to treating babies.